Lisa HawthornthwaiteSr. Patient Experience Specialist
London Health Sciences Centre
Lisa Hawthornthwaite has a career in health care spanning twenty-five years. Currently, as a Senior Patient Experience Specialist her responsibilities are to help strategize and generate improvements for patient and family-centred care across our hospital. She works with many at LHSC to champion a comprehensive plan called the Patient Experience Strategic Roadmap which has been designed to make a lasting difference in how we systematically deliver care and engage with our patients and families.
Lisa is also in her second year as a Fellow with The AMS Phoenix Project. This is a prestigious award targeted at individuals with strong leadership abilities who are willing and committed to devoting time to further understanding of new approaches to educational and clinical practice to advance humane, compassionate, person-centred care. As a Fellow with the AMS Phoenix Project, Lisa has been developing an in-depth patient experience curriculum centered on using a cadre of patient storytellers who will engage frontline staff in self-reflection about the centrality of compassion to effective patient and family-centred care (PFCC).
15:10 Fostering a culture of patient and family-centred compassionate care: The development of a hospital wide curriculum of patient experience
- Understand how our hospital facilitates components to establish an effective cadre of patient storytellers for quality, patient safety and patient experience in-hospital curriculum
- Identify the elements of a two-part storytelling workshop for patient and family advisers who are interested in sharing their stories
- Self-reflect on impact of patient video that is shared
- Understand the findings of the impact of patient storytelling curriculum on the audience and patient storytellers
- Discuss challenges and learning of presenting patients stories in hospital wide curriculum
- Share overall impression of the success and impact on cultural transformation and more authentic patient and family-centered care